The Giants are in fire sale mode, with DT Damon Harrison and CB Eli Apple recently getting traded, and pretty much everyone else on the team also available in advance of Tuesday's trade deadline.
With T Ereck Flowers also waived this season, two of the last three first-round picks for the Giants no longer play for the team. Even QB Davis Webb, a third-round choice last year, was waived before the start of the season before playing a snap.
This just furthers the narrative that the Giants have been largely awful when it has come to drafting since 2008 -- with most of that blamed on former GM Jerry Reese. But just how bad have they been? This year's draft class gets an incomplete, and we broke down every Reese draft class (2008 to 2017)...
- RB Saquon Barkley
- G Will Hernandez
- LB Lorenzo Carter / DT B.J. Hill
- QB Kyle Lauletta
- DT RJ Mcintosh
- TE Evan Engram: Giants starting tight end.
- DT Dalvin Tomlinson: Giants starting defensive lineman.
- QB Davis Webb: Signed to Jets practice squad in 2018.
- RB Wayne Gallman: Giants backup running back.
- DE Avery Moss: Signed to Giants practice squad in 2018.
- T Adam Bisnowaty: Unsigned free agent.
The Giants are only one year removed from this draft class, which remains mostly intact. Engram and Tomlinson are starters while Gallman is also a key contributor. The biggest letdown is Webb, who lasted one season before being cut.
- CB Eli Apple: Traded to Saints
- WR Sterling Shepard: Giants No. 2 receiver. 2016 NFL All-Rookie Team selection
- S Darian Thompson: Waived before 2018 season. Picked up by Cowboys off waivers
- LB B.J. Goodson: Outside linebacker on 2018 roster
- RB Paul Perkins: Waived before 2018 training camp
- TE Jerell Adams: Waived before 2018 season
Apple was the latest trade by the Giants on Tuesday, sending him to the Saints for a 2019 fifth-rounder and 2020 seventh-rounder. Shepard has solidified himself as a solid No. 2 receiver for the Giants, while Goodson has showed some promise. Thompson was expected to be a ball-hawk alongside Landon Collins, but that didn't pan out.
- T Ereck Flowers: Waived by Giants in Week 6. Signed by Jaguars.
- S Landon Collins: Two-time Pro Bowler, First-Team All-Pro 2016. Giants starting safety.
- DE Owa Odighizuwa: Unsigned free agent.
- S Mykkele Thompson (fifth round): Unsigned free agent.
- WR Geremy Davis: Released in 2016. Chargers wide receiver.
- T Bobby Hart: Released in 2018. Bengals starting right tackle.
Collins is the only player left from this class, which was just four drafts ago. Flowers is arguably the biggest bust of the Reese era, failing to even finish his rookie contract.
- WR Odell Beckham Jr. : Three-time Pro Bowler, Offensive Rookie of the Year
- OL Weston Richburg: Signed as a free agent with 49ers in 2018
- DT Jay Bromley: Signed with Saints as free agent in 2018
- RB Andre Williams: Released in 2016, signed with Chargers off waivers. Los Angeles released him before training camp in 2018.
- S Nat Berhe: Waived before 2018 season. Picked up by Steelers off waivers.
- LB Devon Kennard: Signed with Lions in 2018 free agency.
- S Bennett Jackson: Released by Giants in 2016. Signed a reserve/future contract with Ravens in 2018, but released on Sept. 6
The Giants struck gold with Beckham, who rewrote their record books on the way to becoming one of the top NFL receivers today. But everyone else from his draft class is gone. New York chose not to pursue Richburg in free agency as well as Kennard and Bromley. Williams, a Heisman candidate at Boston College, didn't pan out with Big Blue and hasn't stuck anywhere else.
- T/G Justin Pugh: Signed with Cardinals in 2018 free agency
- DT Johnathan Hankins: Signed with Colts in 2017 free agency. Raiders defensive tackle
- DE Damontre Moore: Unsigned free agent
- QB Ryan Nassib: Unsigned free agent
- S Cooper Taylor: Out of NFL since 2016
- G Eric Herman: Out of NFL since 2016
- RB Michael Cox: Out of NFL since 2015
Pugh and Hankins have moved on from the Giants but continue to have successful careers. The Giants swung and missed on Moore, who was supposed to be a force as a pass-rusher but off-the-field issues derailed his career.
- RB David Wilson: Placed on IR in 2013 with spinal stenosis. Retired on August 6, 2014
- WR Rueben Randle: Signed with Eagles as a free agent in 2016, released before season. Signed futures contract with Bears in 2017.
- CB Jayron Hosley: Not retained by Giants after 2015 season.
- TE Adrien Robinson: Waived by Giants before 2015 season.
- OT Brandon Mosley: Waived/Injured in 2015
- OT Matt McCants: Put on practice squad in 2012. Cut from practice squad in 2013 and picked up by Raiders' practice squad. Most recently been in camp with Bears this season before getting cut.
- DT Markus Kuhn: Placed on IR in 2015. Signed with Patriots in 2016. Announced retirement in 2017.
It was a shame to see Wilson forced to retire following his diagnosis. This entire draft class, though, was brutal. Randle was the best of the seven, churning out 2,644 yards and 20 touchdowns over his four-year stint with the team. Hosley saw 43 games in his four years, but wasn't the greatest in coverage. He had two interceptions over that span.
- CB Prince Amukamara: Signed with Jaguars in 2016. Bears starting cornerback in 2018
- DT Marvin Austin: Out of NFL since 2015
- WR Jerrel Jernigan: Out of NFL since 2014
- T James Brewer: Out of NFL since 2014
- LB Greg Jones: Out of NFL since 2012
- DB Tyler Sash: Out of NFL since 2012
- LB Jacquian Williams: Out of NFL since 2014
- RB Da'Rel Scott: Out of NFL since 2013
Amukamara was never able to figure it out with the Giants but has found success with the Bears. Williams played in 51 games for the Giants as a sixth-round pick but otherwise not a whole lot of success in this draft.
- DE Jason Pierre-Paul: Two-time Pro Bowler in 2011 and 2012. Super Bowl Champion in 2011. Traded to Bucs before 2018 season
- DT Linval Joseph: Signed with Vikings in 2014 after rookie contract expired. Two-time Pro Bowler in 2016 and 2017.
- CB Chad Jones: Waived by Giants after failing physical in 2012 season. Pursued pro baseball in 2013 as Reds draft pick.
- LB Phillip Dillard: Waived by Giants before 2011 season.
- G Mitch Petrus: Waived by Giants in 2012.
- DE Adrian Tracy: Waived by Giants before 2011 season.
- P Matt Dodge: Released before start of 2011 season
One of Dave Gettleman's biggest first moves as Giants GM was trading away Pierre-Paul. He spent eight years in a Giants uniform, collecting 58.5 sacks over 111 games on his way to two Pro Bowls. But the biggest miss was Joseph, as the Giants decided to let him go in free agency. He has excelled with the Vikings, making two Pro Bowls in the past two seasons.
- WR Hakeem Nicks: Out of NFL since 2015
- LB Clint Sintim: Out of NFL since 2010
- T Will Beatty (second round): Unsigned free agent
- WR Ramses Barden (third round): Out of NFL since 2012
- TE Travis Beckum (third round): Out of NFL since 2012
- RB Andre Brown (fourth round): Out of NFL since 2013
- QB Rhett Bomar (fifth round): Never played
- DB DeAndre Wright (sixth round): Never played
- DB Stoney Woodson (seventh round): Never played
Nicks was supposed to be the next Plaxico Burress, but it never panned out that way and is out of the league at the age of 30. Beatty played seven seasons with the Giants and won a Super Bowl with the Eagles last year. Wright and Woodson, who each never played a snap in the NFL, had stints in the Indoor Football League.
- DB Kenny Phillips: Super Bowl Champion in 2011. 2008 NFL All-Rookie Team selection. Signed with Eagles in 2013
- CB Terrell Thomas: Super Bowl Champion in 2011. Signed with Seahawks in 2014.
- WR Mario Manningham: Super Bowl Champion in 2011. Signed with 49ers in 2012. Returned to Giants in 2014, but placed on IR.
- LB Bryan Kehl: Waived by Giants in 2010
- LB Jonathan Goff: Injury ended 2011 season. Signed with Redskins in 2012.
- QB Andre' Woodson: Waived in 2009
- DE Robert Henderson (sixth round): Waived in 2009
Phillips and Thomas were both solid pieces to the Giants secondary during their time, and Manningham's catch on the sideline in Super Bowl XLVI was crucial in beating the Patriots. But after these three, the Giants part ways with the four others rather quickly.
* Overall, only four players from Reese's drafts from 2008-2016 still play for the Giants. *