In Game 1 of the Opening Round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Islanders picked up an exhilirating overtime win, 4-3, over the Penguins to kick off the series.
With the Coliseum packed to the ceiling, the Islanders looked to get on the board first in the opening minute. However, the goal was called back as an Isles player was deemed offside. But less than a minute later, Jordan Eberle potted the first goal of the night.
Phil Kessel would tie the game up for the Penguins later in the period, but the Isles skated into the locker room with the lead after one thanks to a power play goal by Brock Nelson.
It would be Evgeni Malkin tying it up with the only goal in the second period, but the third period is where the drama truly began. At 12:35 into the period, Nick Leddy put New York ahead 3-2, but Justin Schultz launched a one-timer for Pittsburgh with less than 90 seconds in regulation to force overtime.
With the crowd on the edge of their seats, the Islanders didn't let them down as Josh Bailey buried the overtime winner and the Coliseum exploded. >> Box Score
- 1:40 NYI Jordan Eberle; Assists: Anders Lee, Adam Pelech
- 5:42 PIT Phil Kessel; Assists: Dominik Simon, Brian Dumoulin
- 15:46 NYI Brock Nelson (Power Play); Assists: Jordan Eberle, Devon Toews
- 13:41 PIT Evgeni Malkin (Power Play); Assists: Justin Schultz, Phil Kessel
- 12:35 NYI Nick Leddy; Assists: Valtteri Filppula, Leo Komarow
- 18:31 PIT Justin Schultz; Assists: Kris Letang, Evgeni Malkin
- 4:39 NYI Josh Bailey; Assists: Mathew Barzal
What's Next: The Islanders and Penguins return to action for Game 2 on Friday at 7:30 p.m.