The Islanders travel to Pittsburgh to face the Penguins on Saturday at 7 p.m.
According to STATS...
- The Islanders and Penguins meet for the first time this season. The Isles won the last four matchups between the teams in 2014-15. They are seeking their first five-game winning streak against the Penguins since 1986.
- The Penguins tied a season high with five goals in their New Year's Eve win over the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena. Through December 31 last season, the Penguins scored six goals or more in a game three times.
- Thursday's win in Detroit was just Pittsburgh's second victory this season in the second game of a back-to-back. They were just 1-5-1 in those games entering their New Year's Eve contest.
- Kris Letang scored two goals against the Red Wings on Thursday after recording just one in his previous 27 games played this season. It was his first multi-goal game since December 13, 2014 at Columbus.
- Nikolay Kulemin extended his goal streak to three games with a third period goal that secured the Isles' 2-1 win over the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday. Brock Nelson has the longest goal streak by an Islander player this season with four games.
- The Islanders have the most improved penalty kill percentage in the NHL from last season to this season -- going from 78.0 87.3 percent. They are currently ranked second in the NHL in penalty kill percentage, behind only Anaheim (88.0).