Cespedes will likely command a deal worth between $125 million and $160 million, according to a Yahoo! Sports report (Sept. 14).
The 29-year-old Cespedes told the New York Post's Ken Davidoff earlier this week he would be very interested in staying in New York after just seven weeks with the Mets (Sept. 16).
Since joining the Mets after a trade with the Tigers, Cespedes is batting .295 with 17 home runs and 42 RBIs and the Mets are 30-13 in that span.
The Mets are no longer limited to an exclusive five-day window after the World Series to negotiate a deal with Cespedes, after which he would not be able to re-sign with the Mets until May 15, 2016. Cespedes, his agent and the Mets received MLB approval that will allow him to negotiate with the Mets throughout the entire offseason.
“I’m actually the person who told them to change it,” Cespedes told Davidoff. “It only gave me five days for the Mets to sign me after the World Series, so I wanted it changed so that it’s not just within those five days. So even during the offseason, they can sign me if that’s what they want.”
Cespedes has adamantly said his current focus is his play on the field instead of possible contract negotiations in the offseason.
“I’m not even thinking about that right now," Cespedes told Davidoff. "The only thing I’m thinking about is helping the team and playing well, and helping them win. That’s the only thing I’m focused on right now. ... I don’t want [contract discussions] to distract me from the goal. And then I’m focused on the money, and things don’t work out for me the way I anticipate. I would rather not even think about it.”