2014 Mets- Wilmer Flores (Bravos de Margarita – VWL) – Two doubles on Sunday night in a 3-for-4 effort were his first extra-base hits in eight games. In three games in the last week, he was 3-for-10 with those pair of doubles, no walks and a strikeout. The 22-year-old Flores is sitting at a healthy .375/.434/.545 with nine extra-base hits, nine walks and 10 strikeouts in 23 games in Venezuela this winter. This week, Flores DHed once, and played one game each at second and at third, where he committed his fourth error overall, a throwing miscue.
Can You Be the 25th Man in the Bullpen?- Joel Carreno (Escogido - DWL) – Carreno finished the regular DWL season at 1-0 with a 2.08 ERA in 17 relief appearances. In 17.1 innings, he fanned 20, walked six and gave up 12 hits.
- Jeurys Familia (Gigantes del Cibao – DWL) – Familia finished the DWL regular season at 0-0 with a 2.70 ERA in six appearances. In 6.2 innings, he fanned 12 and walked three while giving up four runs, two earned, on eight hits.
- Gonzlez Germen (Toros del Este – DWL) - The 26-year-old was 2-0 with a 2.89 ERA in 10 appearances. In 9.1 innings, he walked five and struck out five, while allowing three runs on 12 hits. He did not appear in a game since November 30.
See You in Sin City (Projected Las Vegas 51s on Opening Day 2014)
- LHP Chase Huchingson (Aguilas del Zulia - VWL) – The 24-year-old did not make an appearance in the final week of the Zulia's schedule. Overall, in 5.1 innings over nine appearances, he's walked eight and fanned five. That's not good.
- SS Wilfredo Tovar (Bravos de Margarita – VWL) A mid-season trade after 15 undistinguished games for Navegantes del Magallanes sent Tovar to Wilmer Flores' Margarita team where he is 7-for-21 with a pair of doubles and walks (.333/.417/.429 in six games).
Bingo Bound/Hoping to break camp in AA- INF TJ Rivera (Indios de Mayaguez - PWL) – The 25-year-old has not played since December 9. He will finish his PWL season at .308/.357/.538 with one homer and one walk in nine games.
- C Xorge Carrillo (Aguilas de Mexicali – LMP) – The 24-year-old was 3-for-11 this week for Mexicali and sits at .290/.352/.398 overall with 13 extra-base hits, 12 walks and 33 strikeouts in 54 games. He's an aggressive hitter, who has never played more than 36 games in a single US season. His nice winter should help him earn a job backing up Kevin Plawecki in AA in 2014 or maybe even Juan Centeno in AAA. One issue here: I think the LMP plays like an a-ball league, or lower.
- Jon Velasquez (Cangrejeros de Santurce - PWL) - Velasquez, who the Mets grabbed in the Rule 5 draft at the end of the Winter Meetings allowed one unearned run in 2.2 innings over three outings this week with two walks and six strikeouts. In Puerto Rico, he's 3-0 wit ha 1.73 ERA in 26 innings with 26 strikeouts against eight walks and 18 hits.
- Juan Carlos Gamboa (Caneros de los Mochis - Liga Mexicana del Pacifico) - A 3-for-13 week dropped Gamboa's line to .300/.398/.414 in 26 games in Mexico this winter. He hit .195/.269/.271 in 32 games with Brooklyn in 2013 as a 22-year old while repeating the NYP League. Is the Mexican Winter League really easier than the New York Penn League?
- Marcos Camarena ( Tomateros de Culiacan - Liga Mexicana del Pacifico) - Working exclusively out of the bullpen for the Tomateros, Camarena has run a 2.22 ERA in 28.1 innings over 25 games with 23 strikeouts against two walks. This week was his roughest yet - with three runs allowed on seven hits in his final 2.2 innings of work.
And Our Player of the Week…
There were few viable candidates, but Flores hit .300 (3-for-10) with a couple of doubles.