After being scratched from Wednesday's Mets lineup due to additional cardiac screening, center fielder Brandon Nimmo has been cleared for baseball activities, per general manager Brodie Van Wagenen.
Van Wagenen spoke with reporters in Jupiter, Fla. during the early innings of Thursday's game against the Miami Marlins, and while he wouldn't get into the specifics of the tests, he said that everything was strictly precautionary.
"Just wanted to follow up on the news from Brandon yesterday, make sure I give everybody the good report that Brandon is doing well. All the tests came back in a good fashion. He's been cleared for baseball activities, so he'll be resuming his work tomorrow back in Port St. Lucie and we're ready to get him back.
"We're always looking to be pre-cautious. We never want to put players in harm's way, and I think this was a perfect example of that."
Nimmo's wife, Chelsea Jane, sent out a pair of tweets earlier on Thursday to help calm everyone down as well.
I'm just gonna say it. Brandon is fine (other than wishing he could just do his thing & play!) The timing was inconvenient & has caused a media storm. He's healthy and feels great, just have to be sure of these things. Hopefully we can get this all cleared up and move forward!- Chelsea Jane Nimmo (@chelseajnimmo) February 27, 2020
"So, with that being said. Thank you to all of those who have reached out and been so supportive," Chelsea Jane Nimmo said in a separate follow-up tweet. "It really means a lot! Hopefully some new updates for you guys soon! I know he's itching to get back out there! #LGM"
Meanwhile, first baseman Matt Adams, who was scheduled to start at first base for the Mets on Thursday, was similarly scratched late, and Van Wagenen explained it was for the same reason as Nimmo, with the team looking to give some additional cardiac screening.