Jacob deGrom said during the All-Star break this past season that he "loved" playing for the Mets and was open to signing a long-term extension.
Those comments came after then-agent and now-Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen made waves by suggesting the Mets should extend deGrom or trade him. And with his agent now his GM and the season in the rearview mirror, deGrom is still open to discussing an extension.
"I think anybody is open to an extension if it's right for you and your family," deGrom told MLB.com's Anthony DiComo. "Nothing is guaranteed in this game until you sign that deal or hit free agency and sign a deal there. You just have to sit down and, at the end of the day, look at what's right for you and your family and kind of make a decision based upon that."
As he did in July, deGrom talked about how much he enjoys playing for the Mets.
"I really do enjoy playing in New York," he told DiComo. "The fans have treated me great. I enjoy taking the mound at Citi Field in front of them, and it's rare that a guy spends his career with one team. If that was something that they wanted to do, and me and [my wife] Stacey felt like it was the right move for us, then we'd be willing to definitely explore that."
Van Wagenen said last week at the GM Meetings that the Mets had not yet excanged proposals with deGrom on a potential extension, but maintaned that the Mets would "love to try to keep" deGrom long-term.
The 30-year-old deGrom -- who will almost certainly win his first Cy Young award when results are announced on Wednesday night -- is entering his second-to-last season of arbitration, where he is expected to earn $12.9 million, up from the $7.4 million he made in 2018.
If the Mets and deGrom don't agree on an extension, he will hit free agency after the 2020 season.