See You in Sin City (Projected Las Vegas 51s on Opening Day 2014)
- C Juan Centeno - (Gigantes de Carolina - PWL) - Four games in the last week for the 24-year-old in which he hit a combined 7-for-11 with two doubles. He's up to .275/.333/.392 in 19 games in Puerto Rico.
- OF Cesar Puello (Toros del Este - DWL) - After a really bad start to the winter season, Puello is almost back to hitting .200 after a week in which he played four games, going 3-for-12 (.250) with zero extra-base hits, two strikeouts and a walk, his second in 33 games. He's now at 25 strikeouts against two walks with two extra-base hits, both homers and is four of five stealing bases to go along with a .198/.238/.260 line overall in the Dominican.
- SS Wilfredo Tovar has not played since November 21 for Navegantes del Magallanes in Venezuela.
- RHP Ryan Fraser (Leones de Ponce - PWL) - After a 5.63 ERA and a 25/26 K/BB in AA this year, Fraser has allowed two runs on eight hits in 7.1 innings in five games in Puerto Rico. Fraser actually has some work to do to break camp in AAA, and his Opening Day assignment will also depend on how many reliever types the Mets bring in for their big league bullpen and AAA and the subsequent cascade down through the system.
Bingo Bound/Hoping to break camp in AA- INF TJ Rivera (Indios de Mayaguez - PWL) - The 25-year-old was 1-for-3 with a homerun last Monday in Puerto Rico to push his winter line to .308/.357/.538 with a homer, a walk and one strikeout in nine games.
... The non-drafted free agent has worked his way up the Mets' system in the last year culminating in a .289/.348/.351 line with two homers for St. Lucie while playing 111 games at second base and backing up 15 games at shortstop. He's a pretty safe bet to begin 2014 at NYSEG stadium.
- C Xorge Carrillo (Aguilas de Mexicali - LMP) - The 24-year-old extended a five-game hitting streak in Mexico with a 3-for-5 game that included a double and a homer and four RBI. He's up to .283/.351/.384 in 43 games this winter for Aguilas. He has never played in 43 games in an US-based professional season, topping out at 36 this past season with Binghamton and St. Lucie. He's a thick 6'1" who has He will be fighting with Cam Maron in Spring Training for the right to break Spring Training with AA Binghamton as Kevin Plawecki's backup.
A-Ballers-RHP Miller Diaz (Leones del Caracas - VWL) - A starter in Brooklyn in 2013, Diaz will likely open 2014 in the Savannah rotation. In 8.1 innings over 11 games out of the bullpen in Venezuela, he's walked seven and fanned six.
And Our Player of the Week…
Wilmer Flores. He hit .500 with a homer. That'll do. He still has more walks than strikeouts in his brief Venezuelan season. He does not have a position yet for the 2014 Mets, but he's hitting.