The XFL's opening weekend has been a successful one, and the New York Guardians can agree after their 23-3 win over the Tampa Bay Vipers at MetLife Stadium for their first win of the new season.
Takeaways from Sunday's game
1) Former Raiders QB Matt McGloin leads the Guardians' offense and he did a great job setting the tone early with a touchdown on the opening drive that he capped off with a fourth-down rush up the middle for a one-yard score. Overall, he finished his afternoon with a 15-for-29 line for 182 yards and one touchdown.
2) Mekale McKay and Colby Pearson were McGloin's favorite targets, with three receptions and 58 yards for McKay and two receptions for 44 yards -- and McGloin's only throwing touchdown -- going to Pearson. McKay had an impressive diving catch that completed a 45-yard bomb from McGloin that set up their opening drive score.
3) The Guardians' defense was lockdown all game long, and forced Tampa Bay into three turnovers. Andrew Soroh and Bryce Jones each had an interception, while Jamar Summers ran back a 22-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown in the fourth quarter that sealed the deal for New York. Overall, the team made it hard for Vipers QB Aaron Murray to operate.
4) Darius Victor may have only had 32 yards on nine rushes, but his 22-yard burst was delivered with a big truck stick. He stands at 5-foot-6, 230 pounds and head coach Kevin Gilbride compared him to a back like Brandon Jacobs.
5) It was the first win in the books for New York's new XFL team that will take on the D.C. Defenders on the road on Feb. 15. Kickoff at Audi Field in Washington, D.C., is set for 2 p.m. ET on ABC.
Could the New York Guardians beat the New York Giants?pic.twitter.com/8JKKqcx0qp- SNY (@SNYtv) February 9, 2020