The Nets have waived F Joe Johnson, GM Sean Marks announced (Feb. 25).
It had been reported earlier in the day that the Nets had opend buyout negotiations with Johnson (Feb. 25).
"The Nets want to thank Joe for his many contributions to the team and the organization," Marks said in a statement. "Joe has been a quality professional since joining the Nets four years ago, was a valued member of three playoff teams, and provided many thrilling moments for his teammates and Nets' fans. We wish him much success in the future."
Marks earlier said during an interview on WFAN that Johnson deserved to pursue the playoffs with another team if he desires.
Johnson had said on Jan. 11 that he was not interested in a buyout that would allow him to join a contender.
"Thank you to all of the Brooklyn and New York Fans for your support during my time with the Brooklyn Nets," Johnson said on Twitter. "I want to thank the Nets organization and I wish nothing but the best to the team. I am looking forward to the next chapter of my career and am excited to bring my talents to a new team."
Johnson, 34, was in the final year of his current deal and had a $25 million cap hit.
I know Johnson has expressed this season that he doesn't want a buyout, but this is the best thing for both him and the Nets. Instead of having him waste one of his waning seasons playing on a team that is tearing it all down, he might as well see if he can go and make one more run at a championship with a contender.
For Brooklyn, this allows them to take the 34 minutes per game Johnson has been averaging and distribute them to some of their other players to find out who can potentially take a job in the front court and run with it.
This will really be the end of the inaugural Brooklyn era; the last vestige of "Brooklyn's Backcourt" sent out to pasture. It's crazy to think of the journey we've been on since then, but hopefully, brighter days are ahead.