Henrik Lundqvist made 27 saves and the New York Rangers posted their first three-game winning streak since November with a 2-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Monday night.
Kevin Klein, who broke a thumb last week, scored for the first time in 28 games and the streaking J.T. Miller scored for the ninth time in 10 games while the Rangers beat the Devils for the first time in three games this season.
This win came with captain Ryan McDonagh sidelined with a concussion. It was New York's fifth straight win at Madison Square Garden, and the Rangers are 7-3 in their last 10 overall.
Cory Schneider made 35 saves for New Jersey, which lost its third straight (0-1-2). Travis Zajac scored a short-handed goal with 2:17 left to spoil Lundqvist's shutout bid. >> Read more...
- It's 3 in a row for the Rangers and a game in which they should have been up 4-0 or 5-0 early but Schneider kept the Devils in it and kept the game close. The Rangers were really good in the first, good in the second and good enough in the third to hold on after the Devils got one. Hopefully this is the streak I've been looking for the Rangers to get on for the last few months.
- We saw the good and we saw the very, very bad that Keith Yandle brings when he steps on the ice. He played a strong game for about 56 minutes or so but made a totally unnecessary play that led directly to the Devils shorthanded goal. That made it a very tense last few minutes.
- Henrik Lundqvist was very good when he needed to be. He had a few long stretches without seeing any action but he came up big, especially in the third.
- JT Miller is red hot, Derick Brassard was very noticeable, Chris Kreider was noticeable and Mats Zuccarello was pretty solid.
- The PP had some good looks throughout the game but couldn't convert. Good looks are better than nothing but they need to find a way to cash in on the PP. It's also great for the PK when you don't take any penalties.