Henrik Lundqvist stopped 30 of 33 shots but the Blackhawks added two empty net goals in the final minute to seal a 5-2 win over the Rangers on Wednesday night at Madison Square Garden. >> Box score
Mika 🚀🚨 pic.twitter.com/MsBrEz18j2- New York Rangers (@NYRangers) January 4, 2018
- 16:09 CHI Vinnie Hinostroza; Assists: Jonathan Toews, Jordan Oesterle
- 18:09 NYR Nick Holden; Assists: Paul Carey, Boo Nieves
- 8:56 CHI Nick Schmaltz; Assists: Patrick Kane, Ryan Hartman
- 11:32 NYR Mika Zibanejad (PP); Assists: Pavel Buchnevich, Mats Zuccarello
- 2:24 CHI Patrick Sharp; Assists: David Kampf, Alex DeBrincat
- 19:06 CHI Toews (ENG); Assists: Brandon Saad, Tommy Wingels
- 19:55 CHI Kane (ENG); Assists: Hartman, Schmaltz
- The Rangers were not as good as the Blackhawks tonight and in some ways that can sum up the whole game. Chicago seemed to have the puck all night and the Rangers never really tested goalie Jeff Glass until the third, and even then it wasn't enough.
- The Rangers scored on the 5 on 3 PP but had chances in the first and then late in the third on the PP and couldn't convert. 5 on 4 the Rangers need their PP to get going. Mika Zibanejad was shooting every chance he could, which is good, but the PP as a whole just isn't executing properly.
- It sure looked like they could have called cross checking when Chicago scored their second goal....
- Henrik Lundqvist kept the game close for the Rangers while Chicago was pushing and put forth another strong game.
- Now the Rangers go on the road for two games before they get next week off for their bye. Arizona and then Vegas and with them coming on back to back nights the Rangers will hopefully avoid the vegas flu and close out the first half of their season strong.
The Rangers head west to face the Arizona Coyoetes at Gila River Arena on Saturday at 8 p.m.