The Rangers were unable to build off their recent 3-2 overtime win over the Sharks from earlier in the week, this time falling to a winless Oilers team at home, 2-1, on Saturday at Madison Square Garden. Connor McDavid netted the game-winner for the Oilers on a power-play at 6:23 in the third period. >> Box score
- 12:49 NYR Mika Zibanejad; Assists: Marc Staal, Brendan Smith
- 14:17 EDM Ryan Nugent-Hopkins; Darnell Nurse, Connor McDavid
- No goals
- 6:23 EDM Connor McDavid (Power Play); Assists: Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
- This was a frustrating one for the Rangers and one that I feel will be the case many times this season. They worked hard, played well enough defensively but couldn't cash in on the limited offensive opportunities that they had.
- Henrik was terrific, again and there was a much better structure, and infrastructure, in front of him, but the Rangers just aren't getting enough shots.
- The refs did the Rangers no favors by only granting them two PP opportunities, but the Rangers need to create a lot more at 5 on 5. In my view they have enough offensive talent spread through the lineup to create and score more, but they aren't doing so at this early point in the season.
- Mika Zibanejad was excellent and beat Cam Talbot thrice today but only one hit the net the back of the net while the other two hit iron.
- I've been impressed, through two games, with Freddy Claesson. He may be best suited to be a 6/7/8 that rotates in and out on a good team, but he works hard and has been a nice find....through two games.
The Rangers remain home when they host the Colorado Avalanche on Tuesday, Oct. 16 at 7 p.m.