Jimmy Vesey scored two goals 29 seconds apart to cap a three-goal first period as the Rangers defeated the Bruins, 4-2, for their fifth straight win on Wednesday night at Madison Square Garden. >> Box score
- 9:53 NYR Pavel Buchnevich; Assists: Ryan McDonagh, Michael Grabner
- 10:14 BOS David Pastrnak; Assists: Patrice Bergeron, Anders Bjork
- 14:41 NYR Jimmy Vesey; Assists: Mika Zibanejad, Buchnevich
- 15:10 NYR Vesey; Assists: Kevin Shattenkirk, David Desharnais
- 6:44 BOS Bergeron; Assists: Torey Krug, Pastrnak
- 19:52 NYR Rick Nash (ENG); Assists: McDonagh
- This was a very important win for the Rangers because of the way they won it. This wasn't a game where they came from behind or found a way to win, this was a game where the Rangers led and defended a lead for 2+ periods. You have to win in different ways and it's a good sign for the Rangers, and for Henrik Lundqvist, that they were able to win like this tonight.
- There was a lot of talk about Jimmy Vesey before the game and he delivered twice tonight by putting himself in the right place. There is certainly a higher level of production for Vesey than he has shown so far this year but he is working hard and if he can make some plays with the puck and then keep himself in good positions, that level of production will increase.
- The skill level of Pavel Buchnevich is outstanding. We've seen it before but his goal tonight was special, not just how he managed to roof the puck but how he cut in and went around Chara. He brings an element of pure skill that the Rangers have been lacking at times over the last few years.
- Henrik Lundqvist had a good game and was really good in the second period as well as late in the third when the Rangers were defending a one-goal lead.
- Now it's 5 in a row for the Rangers and they are above .500 for the first time all season. They have a bit of a break in the schedule now with only one game, Saturday against the Oilers, before they head to Chicago next Wednesday.
The Rangers face the Edmonton Oilers at Madison Square Garden on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m.