With things having settled a bit after the outcome of MLB commissioner Robert Manfred's report on the Astros sign-stealing scandal, Yankees GM Brian Cashman and manager Aaron Boone made their first public comments on the matter Thursday night.
The duo appeared on YES Network's "Yankees Hot Stove to discuss Houston's sign-stealing, which occurred mainly through their 2017 World Series title run, that overshadowed just about everything this offseason.
"We've done our due diligence," Cashman said on how much the Yankees knew about the Astros cheating. "We tried to do everything we could - and have done everything we can -- to protect our signs as much as possible and continue to evolve over the course of time because of concerns."
"Baseball has now determined, with the strong assistance of Mike Fiers coming forward, being a whistle-blower, and shed a light on some of the things that were occurring down in Houston, clearly."
Cashman stated that he has yet to address the matter with the entirety of his staff.
"Not yet, we haven't had the collection of personnel all together and obviously there's still a pending review of another franchise as we speak, so obviously, clearly this story hasn't been fully resolved at this point regardless," Cashman said.
The other franchise being investigated by MLB happens to be the Boston Red Sox, who led by former manager Alex Cora (he was named in Manfred's report as a key player in the sign-stealing scheme while he was the bench coach for Houston) won the World Series in 2018.
Per a report by The Athletic, the Red Sox allegedly used the video replay room to steal signs during their title run.
As SNY's Andy Martino previously reported, the Yankees used their video replay room were fined by the league. The difference between them and the Red Sox however, is that that the Yankees followed MLB's clarified rule about the use of the room, while the Red Sox allegedly didn't comply.
Boone, who was not the Yankees manager in 2017 when the majority of the Astros scandal took place, said it was "disappointing and frustrated" to hear what the report revealed.
"I spent a couple of days trying to get my head wrapped around the emotions that I was feeling about it, because there's people you care about involved," Boone said on YES. "But in the end, you hope these are significant steps -- and I believe that they are -- that will get us to a point where we have a much cleaner and more fair game between the lines, and that's where we want things decided anyway."
"I think for a long time, teams guarded against the unknown of what exactly is going on out there...Hopefully, we've put an end to this and cut it off, finally and obviously the penalties that have been handed down, so far, have been very significant and hopefully do act as a real deterrent, and make our game better moving forward."
Former Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia -- who recently accepted a new role as a special advisor to Cashman -- was a member of that 2017 team which lost to the Astros in the 2017 ALCS, and he was not happy to hear about what MLB found in their investigation.
"F--king '17 we should have won the World Series. I don't care what nobody says. And now that this happened, nobody can ever f--king tell me that we wasn't gonna win it," Sabathia said R2C2 podcast with Ryan Ruocco. "..."The games there were so close. One run, one hit, one f--king sign! ....We had magic and they stole that s--t from us."
With more news coming out every few days, Cashman is optimistic everything will sort itself out come the start of the new season.
"When the dust settles, we'll obviously have further conversations, but I think the healthy thing to do now is to try to focus on the future and try not to look back to much," Cashman said.