After being shot on Sunday night while leaving a bar in the Dominican Republic, Red Sox legend David Ortiz had surgery to remove his gallbladder and control bleeding from his liver and bowel, according to Leo López, who works as Ortiz's assistant and press representative.
Ortiz will remain in intensive care for the next 24 hours.
Ortiz's family said late Sunday night that they expect him to make a full recovery.
The former Red Sox slugger was shot in the back at nearly point-blank range around 8:50 p.m. after spending time at Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo, the Dominican National Police Director told the Associated Press.
The gunman got off a motorcycle and approached Ortiz from behind. The suspect was later attacked by witnesses at the scene before being taken into custody.
Ortiz was transported at the Abel Gonzalez Clinic where he underwent surgery, according to authorities. Before he went in, an ER doctor said the retired star told him, "Please don't let me die, I'm a good man."
Ortiz's father, Leo, told Periódico Hoy that his son is resting and is expected to make a full recovery, adding that no organs were affected. He had earlier confirmed that Ortiz was shot when there were conflicting reports about what had transpired.
Ortiz, 43, played 14 of his 20 seasons in MLB with the Yankees' rivals, winning three World Series titles. He retired in 2016 with 541 career home runs and 1,768 RBI.