Three Yankees homered as New York beat the Mariners 7-3 on Monday at Yankee Stadium. >> Box score
Five takeaways from Monday's game
1) It seems each time Brett Gardner gets into a bit of a rut, he comes through with a home run. The Yankees veteran outfielder homered and tripled in three at-bats, helping to boost his average to .223. Gardner would be better served playing less, but the Yankees are not living with luxury right now.
2) CC Sabathia was incredibly sharp to begin the game, allowing just one hit in his first three innings of work. During the fourth and fifth inning, things got a bit difficult for the 38-year-old. Sabathia allowed a two-run homer to Dee Gordon in the fourth inning and the had to lock down Jay Bruce, who was the tying run with the bases loaded. That's Aaron Boone giving the potential future Hall of Famer the benefit of the doubt and it worked out.
3) After Jonathan Holder was unable to handle his job (three base runners and just one out recorded), Adam Ottavino and Zack Britton were tremendous. Both Ottavino and Britton notched four outs, with the latter needing just 14 pitches to complete his appearance. While Ottavino has been quite good throughout the season, this was clearly one of Britton's best outings of the year.
4) Luke Voit entered Monday's contest in a 2-for-18 skid, which included the end of his 42-game on-base streak. Voit hit a first-inning home run, his 10th of the season, and now has 29 RBIs this season.
5) Thairo Estrada, playing for Gleyber Torres at shortstop, hit his first major-league home run and is hitting .333. The 23-year-old also made a slick play at shortstop to help the Yanks out of a bases loaded jam in the sixth inning. Estrada, who missed time last season after being shot, is making the most out of the Yankees injury crunch and has seemingly moved ahead of Tyler Wade in the infield utility pecking order.
Yeah, that's out anywhere. 💪 pic.twitter.com/hSkBfjKCR4- MLB (@MLB) May 6, 2019
Estradios 👋 Congrats on #1, Thairo 👏 pic.twitter.com/uLF4vrKPRD- New York Yankees (@Yankees) May 6, 2019
Masahiro Tanaka (2-3, 3.92 ERA) will face Marco Gonzales (5-1, 3.28 ERA) in the second game of a four-game series on Tuesday at 6:35 p.m.