Tyler Wade and Clint Frazier each hit home runs in the first inning, as the Yankees went on to beat the Rays, 7-1, on Thursday. >> Box score
5 things to know from Thursday's game...
1) J.A. Happ got the win after allowing one earned run on two hits in 3.0 IP. The veteran lefty struck out two batters, and continued to look strong after his three strikeout performance against the Blue Jays on Feb. 22.
2) Shortstop Tyler Wade hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the first inning to give the Yankees a 2-1 lead. Clint Frazier then made that lead 3-1 after blasting a solo home run to left field in the first.
3) RHP Clarke Schmidt, the Yankees' top rated prospect according to The Athletic's Keith Law, struck out three and allowed two hits in 2.0 IP. The 24-year-old has yet to make his MLB debut, but ended the 2019 season going 2-0 with a 2.37 ERA at Double-A Trenton.
4) Zack Granite went 1-for-2 with an RBI double in the bottom of the fourth inning, giving the Yankees a 4-1 lead. Brett Gardner then drove in another run on a line drive to right field, making it 5-1.
5) Mike Ford came in for Granite as a pinch-hitter, and hit a two-run home run in the eighth inning. Ford finished the game 2-for-2 with two RBI and a run scored. RHP Jonathan Loaisiga pitched the final two innings of the game, striking out four batters and not allowing a hit.
The Year of Clint Frazier? pic.twitter.com/hTQFjdZ05k- Yankees Videos (@snyyankees) February 27, 2020
The Yankees travel to North Port to take on the Braves on Friday at 1:05 PM.
RHP Deivi Garcia is scheduled to start for the Yanks, while RHP Mike Soroka gets the start for the Braves.